© 2019 Visit Brockenhurst

Produced for the Brockenhurst Business Association

Contact Us

This site is designed and built by fwdesign who

can help you with web, print and promotional design. Please drop into the Design Hub on Brookley Road to discuss how we can help you.

T: 020 7928 0412

41 Brookley Road, Brockenhurst SO42 7RB 

enquire@fwdesign.com

roger
Nov 10, 2017

Brockenhurst Carnival 1st June 1914

2 comments

Edited: Nov 22, 2017

Just one month from the outbreak of World War 1, Brockenhurst organised a carnival to help raise money towards the enlargement costs for the local Church of England primary school.

Thanks to John Purkess for his local knowledge, insight and supply of the following images and description.

Local Family Grocer Richard Purkess with his float decorated with popular grocery product branding of the day. Monkey Brand seems to have disappeared from our shelves!

The second Purkess family trade entry – The Purkess Bakery, with Hedley Phillips one of the bakers driving the cart

Grandfather R Purkess with his entry - Charcoal Burner taking King Rufus's body to Winchester August 2nd 1100.

The Carnival for the C of E School enlargement June 1st 1914.

By J R Purkess

In 1912 the Church of England school had been enlarged at a cost of £1,840, of which £160 remained to be raised. On the initiative of the trades and working men of the village a committee was formed, chaired by the Rev. Arthur Chambers assisted by Rev. G.C. Williams and Mr. Phillip Russen, as secretaries, to raise this sum.

There was great activity in the village as traders designed and assembled their floats, (15 in all), others designed tableaux (9), decorated prams and cycles, and mums made the fancy dress costumes for themselves and their children.

All had to ready for the Whit Monday Carnival on June 1st 1914.

The route started at the school, in Wide Lane (Sway Road) and proceeding along The Grove (The Rise), along Ober Farm Road (Rhinefield Road) turning around the circle at the Forest Park Hotel, then back to the road that was later named Meerut Road, to the main road and left to Balmer Lawn where the procession turned to go up towards the railway gates. Before the gates it turned down Brookley Lane (Road) to the bank corner where it turned left into Wide Lane and then again went down The Grove, turned right to come up through the village shops and on up to the level crossing to Mill Lane and the fete at Brockenhurst Park.

At the Carnival ground, there was a Pig (weight/name?) guessing competition, tug-of-war, Quoits match, Maypole Dancing and sports with a fair ground atmosphere with a roundabout, shooting gallery and other attractions. Bands played throughout the afternoon and evening, and the Fete was brought to an enjoyable close with dancing.

The total receipts of the Carnival amounted to the handsome sum of £121-1.8d

sienna_torreggiani
Sep 26

Carnival is the festival that is held after a year and the ceremony that is considered as the silver and golden jubilee of the world. The visit of the page has the ability of 7 dollar essay with the festival name that is going too held soon in this universe.

mariakim
5 days ago

I’m going to bookmark your web page and maintain checking for new details. I am looking for some good blog sites for Rihanna Biker Jacket. I was searching over search engines and found your blog site. Well i like your high quality blog site design plus your posting abilities. Keep doing it.

• Russell Depp
    3 days ago

Hello, Recent events have high-lighted a disturbing state of affairs in Panjab, at least the rural, border districts. What is self-censored in the Indian media is rampant substance abuse, including drugs and alcohol. This does not exist in isolation. It is enabled by a well developed narcotic infiltration system in collusion with some police and border security agencies. There is widespread suspicion that political figures in Panjab are profiting from youth addiction. Hepatitis, crime, school drop out rates, domestic assault, parenting incompetence are directly consequential in addition to serious impacts on national security. Because the sensitivity and indeed prickliness of some of the population, paranoid ideation is rampant. Is this a plot by Hindus to destroy Sikhi? These ideas are endemic in these areas along with drugs, money and heptitis C. Please help I didn't find the right solution from the internet. References: https://forums.bharat-rakshak.com/viewtopic.php?t=7153 Teaser production studio Thank you
  • Russell Depp
    5 days ago

Hi, What is the correct tag for a road in a small village that has a mix of residences and businesses along it? Particularly a road that is not a connector to larger through roads. Highway=mixed-use makes sense to me but I don't see it in any commonly-used lists? Please help. I didn't find the right solution from the Internet. References:- https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=53997 Creative video production quote Thanks!
  • roger
    Nov 13

The first signs of Spring 2018 have arrived on Black Knowl Although the water still feels cold the frogs have been active Please do not be tempted to disturb or remove the spawn from their natural home Better to re-visit regularly and observe the eggs as they grow and hatch into tadpoles